Sunday, March 22, 2009

Goal of the Day

I have a tendency to write scenes out of order to see where I want to take the book at a later time when I get there.

Sometimes Lucy (my laptop) and I like to take long rides on the El to visit friends and I like to write what I see. And sometimes, I can incorporate these observations into my writing.

The problem with this is that when it comes time to squeeze them into an appropriate place, I have either obnoxiously long file names like, "Kate stood and led Brian down the stairs into the yard" or short, non descriptive file names like "Dr". Or worse, "Doc14" because I have fourteen files of the same name.

Am I the only one?

My files are a mess.

The only way I see to rectify the situation is to print these passages (which are rarely more than three pages each), delete the files, put the passages into a notebook of some kind, and use them when I need them.

This is the goal of the day: Consolidating all my random loose files into a notebook, and then delete them off my computer so my files are less cluttered and I might be motivated to write more.

I've been making slow and steady progress. I'm writing a very difficult section, so it's been especially hard to sit down and force myself to keep slogging through it, but it's coming along.

I wrote almost 4k yesterday, which is more than I ever wrote for Nanowrimo, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

My goal for next week is to have as clear a plan for this section that I'm working on right now as I do the ones that preceded it. By the end of next week, I want to have it finished, like I did last week with section two. I need it to be clear, concise, and in one file, and it is none of those things right now.

So now, it's off to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment